Official Publication of the
California Scholarship Federation
California Junior Scholarship Federation
For the first time in recent history, CSF has Co-Presidents. We are honored to have been elected to this position and look forward to working as a team with the CSF/CJSF State Board of Directors and CSF & CJSF Chapter Advisers to help CSF move into its 100th and 101st year!
Richard Roe and Renee Tyler, CSF/CJSF Co-Presidents
FALL ADVISERS CONFERENCE
October 26, 2019 | DoubleTree by Hilton Orange County Airport, Santa Ana
9:30am – 2:30pm Conference
Registration includes lunch, networking opportunities, workshops, and door prizes. Free parking.
Registration here: https:/csf-cjsf.org/fall-2019-advisers-conference/
Registration closes September 30, 2019.
2019-20 AWARDS | CSF
Adviser Nominated Awards: CSF Advisers of chapters in good standing may nominate qualifying chapter members for the Seymour Award, and Outstanding Sealbearer Award.
Passwords for the nomination forms are in the PDF version of this newsletter which was emailed the last week of August to all advisers at their emails of record.
Student Essay Award: Qualifying CSF members of chapters in good standing may submit an essay for the Michelsen Award.
2019-20 AWARDS | CJSF
Adviser Nominated Award: CJSF Advisers of chapters in good standing may nominate qualifying chapter members for the Marian Huhn Award.
Password for the nomination forms is in the PDF version of this newsletter which was emailed the last week of August to all advisers at their emails of record.
Student Essay Award: Qualifying CJSF members of chapters in good standing may submit an essay for the DiGiovanna Award.
MARK YOUR 2019-2020 CALENDAR
- October 1 | CSF Standardized Course lists due
- November 1 | Annual Chapter Dues Payment Deadline
AWARDS SUBMISSIONS AND NOMINATIONS OPEN
- November 1 | Glenn Michelson Award Essay
- November 1 | CJSF DiGiovanna Memorial
- January 1 | Seymour Memorial Award
- November 15 | CJSF Marian Huhn Memorial Award
- January 1 | CSF Outstanding Sealbearer Award
AWARDS SUBMISSIONS DEADLINES (6:00 PM)
- December 22 | Glenn Michelson Award Essay Contest
- January 13 | CJSF DiGiovanna Memorial Award
- February 18 | Seymour Memorial Award
- January 31 | Marian Huhn Memorial Award
- March 1 | CSF Outstanding Sealbearer Award
FALL ADVISERS CONFERENCE
- October 26, Saturday | Fall 2019 Advisers Conference
DoubleTree by Hilton Orange County Airport, Santa Ana
- March 14 | South – Esperanza High School – Anaheim
- March 21 | South Central – Schurr High School, Montebello
- March 28 | Central – Sierra Pacific High School, Hanford
- April 4 | North – Sutter High School, Sutter
- April 18 | Central Coast – Monte Vista Christian School, Watsonville
2021: 100th ANNIVERSARY
The 100th Anniversary of California Scholarship Federation in 2021 will be celebrated with a CSF float in the Rose Parade on January 1, 2021!
Participation by current and former CSF & CJSF members and CSF & CJSF advisers will be needed to make this happen!
More info TBA in the coming weeks.
WHAT IS “GOOD STANDING” FOR CHAPTERS?
- CSF and CJSF Chapters dues must be paid by November 1st.
- CSF Chapters must submit Standardized Course Lists to the Registrar by October 1st and make amendments to receive final approval by February 1st.
Chapters not in good standing:
Will not be eligible for awards – Award nominations and submissions from chapters not in good standing will be not be considered.
TRADEMARK POLICY | BALFOUR ORDERING
CSF has registered trademarks in the State of California. In order to protect the ownership of our trademarks, we have one exclusive, licensed distributor of all CSF/CJSF products, Balfour, Inc.
- Purchase CSF/CJSF items through Balfour: All chapters are required to purchase CSF/CJSF graduation regalia (pins, cords, sashes, etc.) awards and clothing through Balfour, Inc.
- Do not print CSF/CJSF logos: While chapters can make their own tee-shirts, sweatshirts, etc., they are not permitted to use the CSF/CJSF logo or marks on the items.
- Get personalized items: For personalized clothing or other items with the CSF/CJSF logo (e.g. your school name with the CSF/CJSF logo), contact Ken Bowen of CSFAwards (Balfour) by phone: 949-500-0457 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for competitive pricing.
You may use logos on website/stationery. Email email@example.com to request logos for use on website or stationery.
ORDERING SUPPLIES FROM BALFOUR STORE
- The passwords for the CSF adviser store CJSF adviser stores is in the PDF version of this newsletter which was emailed the last week of August to all advisers at their emails of record.
*Chapters not in good standing will be unable to place orders.
PANDA EXPRESS AND CSF/CJSF | Partners in supporting “Scholars for Service”
November 6, 2019 | May 6, 2020
CSF/CJSF are planning two Panda Express restaurant fundraisers for this school year again. All funds donated by Panda Express go to support the programs of CSF and CJSF which provide Financial Awards, Spring Region conferences, Fall Advisers Conference, and more for Chapters, members, and advisers.
We hope you will encourage your members, family, and friends to participate.
Chapters can compete for prizes – such as Panda Express gift baskets and certificates:
- Yes- I am Going
- Most Online Orders
- Instagram photo posts
Participating is simple. Just place orders on the Panda Express website for pickup on November 6th and type in your chapter number to compete for prizes. You will receive instructions to share with your fellow teachers and staff, family and friends, chapter members and their families and friends. And if your school allows it you can distribute flyers before the event day.
Our primary mode of communication with chapter Advisers and school officials is online.
- Our website – https://csf-cjsf.org offers a wealth of information. Use the search icon to find whatever you need. Check the News tab for the latest info.
- Social Media – Follow Us on
- Email – We send group emails to notify Advisers of upcoming chapter requirement deadlines, Award opportunities (including form passwords), Conferences, fundraising, Chapter standing issues, and more.
- Do you have questions?
For all CSF /CJSF questions: Contact your Regional VP, names/email addresses below
If you have not seen any emails from CSF, they are probably in your spam/promotions folder or are blocked by your school’s email server settings. Please provide us with an email address that is not blocked so that you will stay up to date. And Follow Us on social media!
CSF/CJSF Board vacancies:
- Seymour Committee member
Please email Renee firstname.lastname@example.org for job descriptions and further details.
Sonora High School, Sonora
Retired Teacher, Folsom
Lindhurst High School
Downieville Jr./Sr. High School
CSF Registrar: email@example.com
Tammy Lundblad & Gwen Rasmussen
CJSF Registrar: firstname.lastname@example.org
CSF REGIONAL VP
CSF VP North Region: Mark Bell
CSF VP Central Region: Brian Dull
CSF VP Central Coast Region: Janie Falcone
CSF VP South Central Region: Hollie Lohff
CSF VP South Region: Lisa Alexander
CJSF REGIONAL VP
CJSF VP North Region: Pam Bodnar
CJSF VP Central Region: Wendy May
CJSF VP Central Coast Region: Sandra Villasenor
CJSF VP South Central Region: Veronica Reynolds
CJSF VP South Region: Lindsay Peck
- Central: Nicole Bitney – Chair
- Central Coast: vacant
- North: Tim Green
- South Central: Cheryl Thomas
- South: Rosalind Kanter
All California Scholarship Federation Board Members are volunteers including the Executive Director staff position.
From CSF Bulletin, December 1959 | Meet the 1958-59 Seymour Award Finalists
2018-19 Seymour Award Recipients
Amisha Wadhwa, Westmont High School Chapter 743, Adviser Richard Carmona
Sahila Shah, Ronald E. McNair High School Chapter 1326, Adviser Craig Nash
Joanna Jarvis, River Valley High School Chapter 1366, Adviser Eric Ricketts
Isabella Blanco, Santa Maria High School Chapter 6, Adviser Shelly Springer
Alexander Tchekanov, Rancho Bernardo High School Chapter 1109, Adviser Diana Garcia