CJSF | AWARDS
For middle school/junior high school CJSF members, there are two awards.
The Marian Huhn Memorial Award
The Marian Huhn Memorial Award recognizes outstanding 7th & 8th grade student members of California Junior Scholarship Federation for their academic excellence and service to the school and community. In 1989, the “CJSF Honor Award” was renamed in remembrance of former CJSF Registrar Marian Huhn.
- Students must be nominated by their CJSF Adviser.
- Nominations open: November 15, 2017.
- Nomination deadline: February 18th, every year.
- Nominees must participate in the Huhn Workshop at their region’s spring conference to be considered for the financial award.
Advisers must submit nominations electronically via the nomination portal by the February 18, 2018 deadline. Paper nomination packets are no longer accepted.
NOTE: The portal is password-protected. Advisers should have received the password via email; if not, please request via email email@example.com and include your school name for verification. If you have any difficulties using the online system, please don’t hesitate to contact us for assistance.
Materials Advisers Will Need to Make a Nomination
The adviser should assemble all of the following required materials for the chapter’s nominee(s). While an adviser may submit the chapter’s two nominees separately, it is not possible to save a nominee’s partial application to complete later. As such, please collect all of the following materials from your student nominees before accessing the portal for submission.
- Student/parent contact information: mailing address, phone, and email
- Service & Awards (PDF) – Prepare a single document with the following category headings. List items using bullet points. Include degree and length of involvement. Only list items that have occurred in 7th & 8th grade, but include previous years if activity has continued into 7th & 8th (eg. played AYSO soccer from 3rd grade to present)
- CJSF Service & Activities
- Academic Awards & Activities
- School Service & Activities
- Community Service & Activities
- Nominee’s Personal Statement (PDF) – Limit to one double-spaced page. The letter should give the selection committee insight into the nominee’s character, interests, hobbies, and goals for the future. Please do not include photographs.
- CJSF Adviser Letter – Should help the committee to gain insight into the nominee’s intellectual and emotional maturity, reaction to criticism and disappointment, leadership capacity or organizational skills, sense of humor, integrity, concern for others, willingness to serve, and creativity. Support generalities with specific anecdotal evidence whenever possible. The committee will already be familiar with the nominee’s academic and activity records. Limit to one page.
- Community Member Letter – Advisers may provide a written explanation of the award, with guidelines similar to the above, for the nominee to present to the community person when he/she requests the letter of recommendation. Remember, the letter should not be written by an adult who is a relative of the nominee or someone associated with school (including teachers). Limit to one page.
- Signed Publicity Release Form
Nominations will be assessed according to the the Point Assignment Guidelines.
There are fifty (50) points possible for each nominee. Members of the selection committee formed to read the Huhn Award packets will be directed to assess the uniqueness and variety of the nominee’s activities, including leadership, to assign points in the following areas:
I. List awards and activities (limit of one page for each category)
- CJSF service and activities 10
- Scholarship awards and activities [do not include transcripts] 5
- School service and activities 5
- Community service and activities 5
II. Letters (All letters MUST BE TYPED and signed.)
- CJSF Adviser 5
- Community person 5
- Nominee’s statement 15
Recipients for each region will be announced during the spring conferences.
The nomination period begins on November 15, 2017. Advisers were sent an email with a password to submit nominations online by February 18, 2018. If you need the password email firstname.lastname@example.org with your school name and chapter number.
50th Anniversary DiGiovanna Memorial Award
In honor of CJSF’s 50th Anniversary and the recent passing of long-time CJSF adviser / CSF-CJSF Board Member Joanna DiGiovanna, we are pleased to offer this award for CJSF students again this year.
ABOUT JOANNA DIGIOIVANNA
Mrs. DiGiovanna was a very dedicated teacher and CJSF adviser at Piute Middle School in Lancaster who was passionate about the CJSF members in her chapter as well as throughout California. She later served as a volunteer on the State Board of Directors for eight years as CJSF Vice President (South Central) and CJSF Registrar until her passing in June 2016.
- Students must write an essay
- Submissions will be accepted beginning: Wednesday, November 1, 2017
- Application deadline: Saturday, January 13, 2018
- Application Guidelines
- Assessment Criteria
- Submit Application
- Past Recipients
The winning recipient will receive a $500 award. Additional winners may be selected, depending on the availability of funds. Announcement of winning entry will be made on March 1st.
CJSF student members in 7th & 8th grades of chapters in good standing are invited to submit an entry by the January 13, 2018 deadline.
To apply, students must write an essay in response to the following prompt:
Describe how the community service activities in which you have participated impact you as a person.
Essays must be submitted via Submit Application tab on this page by January 13, 2018.
- Essay format. Sign your letter with your first name & word count. Please do not include your last name or school name in the essay.
- Typed & double-spaced.
- 600 – 800 words.
- Save your essay as a Word/doc file or PDF.
- One entry per student.
The winning submission will be selected by the family of Joanna DiGiovanna or a selection committee comprised of California Scholarship Federation board members. The recipient(s) will be announced during the spring conferences.
Complete your essay, save as a Word doc or PDF. Complete application below and upload your essay document. You will receive an email confirmation of your entry.
If you do not see the application form below go to this link to complete the application and upload your essay: https://csfcjsf.wufoo.com/forms/sfsc1pu1gcmxqa/
If you need any assistance throughout the nomination process, please contact the Central Office at email@example.com. We look forward to working with you.