Huhn Award Nomination
The Marian Huhn Memorial Award recognizes outstanding 7th & 8th grade student members of California Junior Scholarship Federation for their academic excellence and service to the school and community. In 1989, the “CJSF Honor Award” was renamed in remembrance of former CJSF Registrar Marian Huhn.
A total of $6,250 is awarded annually, with five students from each region receiving a $250 award.
(Note: In addition to submitting the nomination materials described below, nominees must participate in the Huhn Workshop at their region’s spring conference to be considered for the financial award)
Advisers of active CJSF chapters are eligible to nominate one or two members each year. Nominees should be selected based on their contributions to their chapter, school, and community.
Advisers must submit nominations electronically via the nomination portal by the February 18 deadline. Paper nomination packets are no longer accepted.
NOTE: The portal is password-protected. Advisers should have received the password via email; if not, please request via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include your school name for verification. If you have any difficulties using the online system, please don’t hesitate to contact us for assistance.
The adviser should assemble all of the following required materials for the chapter’s nominee(s). While an adviser may submit the chapter’s two nominees separately, it is not possible to save a nominee’s partial application to complete later. As such, please collect all of the following materials before accessing the portal to submit your nominee(s).
- Student/parent contact information: mailing address, phone, and email
- Service & Awards (PDF) – Please prepare a single document using bullet points, and include each of the categories listed below. Include degree and length of involvement. Only list items that have occurred in 7th & 8th grade, but include previous years if activity has continued into 7th & 8th (eg. played AYSO soccer from 3rd grade to present)
- CJSF Service & Activities
- Academic Awards & Activities
- School Service & Activities
- Community Service & Activities
- Nominee’s Personal Statement (PDF) – Limit to one double-spaced page. The letter should give the selection committee insight into the nominee’s character, interests, hobbies, and goals for the future. Please do not include photographs.
- Two Recommendation Letters (PDF) – Limit each to one page.
- CJSF Adviser Letter – Should help the committee to gain insight into the nominee’s intellectual and emotional maturity, reaction to criticism and disappointment, leadership capacity or organizational skills, sense of humor, integrity, concern for others, willingness to serve, and creativity. Support generalities with specific anecdotal evidence whenever possible. The committee will already be familiar with the nominee’s academic and activity records.
- Community Member Letter – Advisers may provide a written explanation of the award, with guidelines similar to the above, for the nominee to present to the community person when he/she requests the letter of recommendation. Remember, the letter should not be written by an adult who is a relative of the nominee or someone associated with school (including teachers).
- Publicity Release Form – accessible here
If you need any assistance throughout the nomination process, please contact the Central Office at email@example.com. We look forward to working with you.